The Republic of Texas Restaurant ® makes its home in the historic Clifford Building. The Clifford building was built in 1893, Mr. R.H.H. Hugmann Architect and Father of the River walk officed in the Clifford Building. Mr. Hugman was the visionary who developed the idea of an enchanting River walk dining venue with a park like atmosphere. Mr. Hugmann cooked up his ideas from his River front office were the Republic of Texas Restaurant ® now cooks up our Texican-American cuisine.